Saturday, May 06, 2006

First Week as a Writer

There are two problems with being fired from a job you hate:

1) That "Man, I should've dumped them before they dumped me" feeling, which is also common after failed romance.

2) The knowledge that you can't blame your unhappiness on your job any more.

It's a little scary knowing that I have to get out there and sell, sell, sell my book and my screenplay. I'd rather just write, write, write. (You'd think I had all the time in the world to write now, but still I find I need to clean my plate a little if I'm going to have a decent amount of time for it. I'm sleeping a full 8 hours now--that alone takes a big bite out of my workday. Add in workouts, errands, and other commitments, and there isn't an overwhelming amount of writing time left over.) It's scary, and it can be depressing, knowing that writing alone won't be enough--but then when I stop and think about it, I know I'm happier than I've been in any work week in the past year or so. The writing's been going well, and I will figure out the selling. My goal is to have the newest draft of the creenplay done by the 23rd. Wish me luck.

No comments: