Wednesday, June 07, 2006

The Departed - Martin Scorsese

So Martin Scorsese’s pulling a Quentin Tarantino and remaking Hong Kong crime movies. What’s this world coming to, with The Master now imitating his most fervent disciple? Hollywood being Hollywood, a whole constellation of A-listers have jumped on board anyway, hitching their star-power to his wagon in the hopes it will finally complete its Oregon-Trail-worthy trek to the Oscar podium.

And me being me, I jumped at the chance to attend an advance screening at Pipers Alley here in Chicago. I mean, Goodfellas is probably one of my top five favorite movies ever, a huge influence on my own screenwriting, so like all the A-listers, I was hoping this would be the movie that finally gets Scorsese a little gold statue.

It probably isn’t.

The Departed is a fascinating movie, a glorious sloppy mess of a movie that can’t quite decide what it wants to be. Is it a Goodfellas-esque epic, with Boston Irish and Irish-Italians standing in for New York Italians and Italian-Irish? In the beginning, it feels that way, and when they started playing “Gimme Shelter” over the opening scenes, I actually felt a little…sad. (I mean, I love Let It Bleed as much as the next guy, but using that just made me compare it unfavorably to the mind-blowingly awesome use of that and “Monkey Man” in the final frantic coked-out days of Henry Hill’s mob career. I hope they pick something different for the final cut.) Is it a straight-up pulpy thriller with a few twists thrown in? For most of the movie, yes, which makes all the star power actually seem a little distracting and unnecessary. Is it a Shakespearean drama about lies and ambition and family and all those grand themes? That’s what the end seems to be angling for, and although that aspect of it is great, it contrasts with the thriller pulpiness.

Speaking of Oriental, this is a very yin-and-yang movie, with Matt Damon and Leonardo DiCaprio chasing each other around (and chasing the same beautiful police psychologist) in a big vortex of a plot, swirling faster and faster until their inevitable catastrophic collision. Damon plays Colin Sullivan, a smarmy Boston Southie hand-picked by mob boss Frank Costello to infiltrate the Massachussetts State Police from the ground up. (As to why they wanted him to be a state trooper rather than, say, a Boston policeman, I have no idea.) And Leo’s William Costigan, another Statie chosen by his superiors to go undercover by doing time (the Underworld equivalent of the Police Academy) and infiltrating Costello’s gang. Standing over them are the aforementioned Frank Costello, played with devilish glee by His Satanic Majesty Jack Nicholson, and a white-haired Martin Sheen as Captain Queenan, the closest thing to a God-the-Father-like good guy Scorsese’s ever given us.

Damon’s great; he slips into this role like it’s a comfortable pair of shoes he’s been breaking in all his life. His early scenes with police psychologist Madeline are some of the best in the movie, and some of the better romantic scenes Scorcese’s ever directed. Alec Baldwin’s very effective and convincing as a Beantown G-man; he has some great early scenes with Mark Wahlberg’s Dignam, another Statie who basically alternates between being Queenan’s lapdog and his attack dog. (Scorsese does cop scenes remarkably well in this movie; surprisingly enough, I liked the cop scenes better than the gangster scenes.) As for Leo, he does a capable job, and Scorsese does a lot with the relative physical similarity between him and Damon. Still, I don’t quite like him as either a gangster or as a cop acting as a gangster; playing Howard Hughes in The Aviator was a better role for him, though he was more believable in this than in Gangs of New York.

Somehow this ended up as slightly less than the sum of its parts. There were some collective gasps from the audience at the right moments, but there also was a groan or two, and there’s never a good moment for that. The plot was too clever by half; surprisingly enough, given the director, I felt it crowded out the character development to the point that DiCaprio and Sheen and (to a lesser extent) Nicholson and Damon ended up feeling like plot components rather than real people. (I actually haven’t seen Internal Affairs, the movie this is a remake of, yet, so I can’t compare it to that, but I hope there’s more of a sense of the divided loyalties that cops-as-gangsters and gangsters-as-cops must feel, a la Donnie Brasco; in this movie, neither Damon nor DiCaprio bond with their peers quite as much as one might have expected, although one gets some glimpses of the fallen-angel-kind-of-hoping-for-redemption in Damon’s character.) I gotta admit it glued me to the chair, though; even though I knew The Master himself was probably in the back row watching us watch his movie, my fanboy ass resisted the urge to get up for a “bathroom break” and a chance to see him, and I instead stayed until the screen said (Insert Credits Here) and they started passing out the little survey thingys. (Unfortunately, me and my budding-auteur buddies weren’t invited to stick around for the post-screening discussion, so we had to stick around for half an hour outside to get our glimpse of Scorsese.)

Anyway, I liked it, but I’m really hoping Scorsese cuts this into something with a more consistent feel, even if that cuts into its epic ambitions. I’m looking forward to seeing the final cut, even though I suspect it won’t be quite as good as everyone (myself included) probably hoped.

7 comments:

Alfonso Mangione said...

No, I think the score probably wasn't done yet, and if there's an original score being done, it'll probably change the feel of the movie quite a bit. They had another couple Stones songs early on, an Allman Brothers track (Wasted Words"?) playing early on when Leo beats up a guy in a bar to prove he's not a cop, a remake of "Comfortably Numb" in a scene where Leo's feeling, well, comfortably numb, and a Dropkick Murphys song later on before one of the big showdowns.

Running time was about 2:45. The groans were about a couple things that were a little over-the-top by Scorsese standards. XXXX-Plot Spoiler-XXXX After not-quite-saint-Nicholson meets his untimely demise, his woman hears the news and collapses in sort-of slo-mo. That seemed like it would have fit in a John Woo movie, but not in something like this. And at the end, when Matt Damon finally gets his, a huge rat comes into his apartment and nibbles on a croissant in front of his dead body. Not only was it an overly obvious screen joke, I had a hard time buying it because he lived in a nice place.

Alfonso Mangione said...

OK, a bunch of people had follow-up questions based on the post, so I'll try to answer all of them in a quick paragraph for each person.

Arnzilla, the rat thing will probably be given a different shot angle, if I had to guess. It was a little abrupt and in-your-face the way they did it--there wasn't a lot of time elapsed after the shooting. As for the set pieces, there were a few that I really liked--a good cops/criminals shootout, and some moments near the end where people gasped the way I did when Joe Pesci got shot in Goodfellas. It will be hard to tell about the music, if he has a score that's being composed for this, because that will change the feel of a lot of scenes. As I said before, I am really looking forward to seeing the final cut. There is some good narration by Scorsese in the beginning, but I'm not sure it fit in with the rest of the movie, as much as I liked it.

db06, you mentioned Matt Damon's performance--I liked it a lot because I felt like the character was a bit of a Southie asshole with a chip on his shoulder, and I think that's a role Matt Damon plays well. Leo's character was probably better written, and he did a good job with it, but again I have a hard time buying him as a tough guy. I liked him a lot better as Howard Hughes. I didn't get to sit in on the final discussion, though--they only took a small part of the audience for that.

the bear, thanks for the stuff on Internal Affairs--I feel like a putz writing about this without having seen that, but I plan on rectifying that soon.

peanut80, they didn't do too much with the younger characters. There were some scenes with the younger Colin watching Frank Costello--they felt like a much seedier take on Henry Hill watching Paulie at the cabstand in Goodfellas. And there weren't any scenes with the younger Billy Costigan (Leo's character) unless he was in the background of the other scenes and I didn't notice.

dylan, I thought Jack Nicholson was a little over-the-top. He had a lot of fun with the role, and there are some great moments, but if you like his subtler stuff, this won't be your favorite performance of his. If, on the other hand, you love the "Hee-re's Johnny" Jack, the crazy Joker Jack, this one's for you.

Alfonso Mangione said...

db06, whoever said Matt Damon's role wasn't vital is an idiot. He and Leo are the foundation of the story. Maybe they didn't like his performance, and maybe they didn't think it was as strong as I did, but his character is one of the main pillars of the story.

Alfonso Mangione said...

Hey, guys, thanks for the continuing interest in the discussion.

peanut, I thought Queenan was a little under-developed. I think the layout of the story put him in a position to be a counterweight to Jack Nicholson's devilish mob boss, and Sheen did a fine job in the role, but for my money there wasn't enough development of his character in the script. I've heard it been said (and I think there's some truth to it) that Scorsese has a Dostoyevskian fascination with the psychopaths, but I don't think he always takes time to flesh out or understand the "good" characters.

db06, it's hard to say about Madeline's character. Some people say Scorsese doesn't direct women well, or that he doesn't direct them well in scenes that don't involve violence--I wouldn't go quite so far as to say that, but he does seem to understand and develop his male leads a bit better than his female ones. Madeline may have loved only Billy--honestly, that thought hadn't occurred to me until I read your post--but there definitely was some good chemistry between her and Colin.

One last bit of shameless self-promotion--I put a link to the Amazon page for my book "Pottersville" on the main page of my blog. If you guys get the chance, check it out.

Alfonso Mangione said...

Hey, all, looks like it's time for another round of comments...

arnzilla, yeah, I emailed my review to AICN, so they got it from me rather than the other way around. And I think the Globe guy hadn't seen my blog before he wrote up his thingy. I thought that was kind of cool, actually. As for your other questions, here goes...

- Matt Damon's introduced as a kid seeing Nicholson collecting protection money, and after a few quick early life scenes, it flashes forward to him at the police academy. Leo's introduced while being chewed out by Martin Sheen's Queenan. I don't remember too many other introductions, per se.

- Scorsese actually narrates the prologue himself, over footage over the busing riots in Boston in the 70s; this then ties into Nicholson's character lecturing the kids on their Irishness, telling them (in his view, of course), the Irish understand what the blacks don't, namely that "In this country, nobody gives you nuthin'. You gotta take it."

- Nicholson/Costello's business on the beach with Mr. French was a double-hit that I believe was based on something from Whitey Bulger's casefiles.

- Do you really want to know if there's another mole/moles in the police force?

- The Chinese appear to do a deal to get some black market microprocessors; this scene sets up the mob's realization that there's a police mole afoot.

- The opera scene is used as the setup for Nicholson having a little coke-fueled threesome that shows both his amorality and his gleeful love of his amorality

- I can't remember Winstone's accent; Leo's was great, and I think Nicholson's was OK, but it didn't leave an impression on me either way.

- Can't remember too much about the cinematography, other than that it played up a bit of the good/evil conflict by making the police offices backlit by shiny buildings in a way that felt very heavenly, while putting Nicholson in a fair amount of red-lit/devilish scenes.

- The questions were very systematic and asked what scenes and characters we liked most and least. They were a little more broad than yours ;-)

leela, the color schemes I most noticed were the use of shiny/golden buildinga as a backdrop in the police offices to create a glowing, heavenly eel, and the use of reds at times when Nicholson was around, emphasizing his devilishness. There's also a Dante's Inferno quality to one of the big shootouts.

db06, your questions are all full of plot spoilers! I'll try and answer them, but no one else should read this! Matt Damon plays a smarmy Southie jerk; I don't think he knew he was going to be killed, and I do think he either repented or kind of wanted to repent; he also knew Madeline was preggers. As I said in the review, I liked his portrayal a lot, and I don't necessarily buy Leo as a gangster or pretend gangster (mostly because he's so baby-faced), but he did a reasonably good job with the role given his non-tough appearance, and he might get a nomination. BTW, your English is pretty good--where are you from, db06?

peanut, I can't remember too too much about Ray Winstone's character; Jack Nicholson's bad guy was definitely meant to be the center of attention, and ol' jack's not the type of actor that will let anyone steal a scene from him, so Ray Winstone ends up fading into the background a bit.

Alfonso Mangione said...

OK, I've dilly-dallied in posting replies, and I don't know if you guys are still checking, but here goes...

virgomoon, I didn't remember any morse code usage in the movie.

arnzilla, I guess there's some truth to Wahlberg being a psycho, but he seemed more of an asshole than a psycho. I don't think there were that many noticeable or prominent Boston locations, except for some really good use of the golden dome of (I think) the capitol building, and some good use of shiny office buildings as a backdrop in Queenan's office, which gave it a very heavenly feel and (I thought) emphasized him as the counterpoint to Jack Nicholson's devilish gangster. I didn't remember Nicholson stirring marinara sauce in the movie--that might have just been a dinner on the set or something. The romance scenes with Matt Damon and Vera Famiglia were very well written, but chemistry is really the main thing in good love scenes, and that was the main reason I liked them.

XXXXX--SPOILER

Yes, they said Nicholson was an FBI informant, and that was a big plot point. (And, yes, Alec Baldwin's character was in the FBI.) And Vera Famiglia's dual life didn't get quite the attention it deserved. Part of me thinks the movie was just trying to do too much, but then again there was a lot I liked about that as a dramatic device.

XXXXX--END SPOILER

And, yes, the scene with the IRA comment was in the movie.

Peanut, DiCaprio's character ends up with a cast because he gets in a fight with some Providence mob types that are trying to nose in on the Boston gang's territory. It is a big credibility boost for him as he tries to integrate himself into the Boston mob.

Leela, I don't remember any "cool" color scenes, and I don't remember many silent scenes, except maybe some later ones between Matt Damon and Vera Famiglia. "Gimme Shelter" was playing during the movie intro and when the young Matt Damon character is just started to get interested in the mob and meet Jack Nicholson. "Comfortably Numb" was playing when Leo hooks up with Vera. And the Dropkick Murphys were playing in the leadup to a big confrontation between Nicholson and the cops.

Alfonso Mangione said...

Hey, Peanut:

Thanks for checking in again! I don't know if I mentioned it, but I saw "Infernal Affairs" finally--it was a much tighter movie then "The Departed" but also less ambitious. Given that the latter is a work in progress, I'm very eager to compare the final products. Again, they didn't use the Morse Code thing in "The Departed"--it was pretty much all cell phones and meetings. Matt Damon swapped out phone chips to keep his double lives intact, and Leo ended up going for a fair amount of face-to-face meetings. They show some flashback scenes with Billy and his mother while she was dying of cancer--mostly to emphasize his good character and faithfulness, I thought. And if Carmen is who I think she is, she met Costello very young and became his mistress during the movie's later scenes.