Sunday, September 04, 2011

Haight And Ashbury, 2011

Out on the road today
I saw a Deadhead sticker
On a 1936 Mercedes roadster
California License Plate:
ACQUIRE
Up on Ashbury and Haight
Owner smoking a cigar
Don Henley wouldn’t dare
To write something so bizarre
Dirty hippies still wandering around Golden Gate Park
In the dark
About how tattered and filthy and worn
Their dreams have become
Looking all deranged
Head stores are legal now
But the world hasn't changed
The kids are not allright
They're still dropping out of schools
And singing in vestibules
Guitar case hungry for the dollars
They’ve also got CDs
And a website
I might look down my nose
But I’m buyin’, too
Into the whole scene
Selling projects of mine
Online
Posting pictures of their signs
And the paintings in store windows
Trolling for Twitter hits
Obama and McCain, lighting up with green
Doing bong rips, high on money
Is this art
Or a construction project?
Are we all working
Here on Haight and Ashbury
Trying to bury the things in us we hate
And to not be ordinary
Unless it sells?
Looking at these scruffy kids
Turning my nose up at their smells
Dirty patchouli hair, my head is just as much a mess
Inside, I just hide it better
With a shaved head and a sweater
What the shit?
Maybe I can relate
To the guy with the Mercedes, too, more than I care to admit
I can see
Maybe I hate
That he’s more honest than me

No comments: